It’s easy to become one of the many whiners in this world, but that won’t bring you success. Learn how to break free of complaints — whether they’re coming from your or from the people in your life — so you can find real happiness, real progress, and real wealth today.
Break Free of the Habits That Whiners Have
One of the funniest, yet most profound stories I’ve ever heard was about the young monk who goes into a monastery where you can only say two words a year. He goes through that first year doing all the things he’s supposed to do. Then, at the end of the year, the head monk gives the young monk a chance to say his two words. “Bed hard,” he says.
Another year of painstaking work happens, better than any other monk. At the end of the year the head monk asks for the young monk’s two words. “Food bad,” he says.
Another year, same thing, only this third time the young monk says, “I quit.” The head monk replies, “I’m not surprised. All you ever did was complain.”
The Negative Impact of Complaining
Complaining is one of the most detrimental habits you can have. It can negatively impact you socially, affecting your personal happiness, but it can also subconsciously sabotage your money and success. How so?
First of all, when you complain to people, 80% of them don’t really care. The other 20% are kind of happy it’s happening to you. It makes them feel a lot better about their lives. Also, the “poor me” victim role may have gotten you some sympathy or attention from your parents, but successful people don’t want to be around whiners.
And we’re going to need successful people to help us get more successful. Yes, or yes?
Misery loves company, but great entrepreneurs aren’t interested in the pity party. You may think they’re interested because they asked you, “Hey, how’s it going?” and you start launching into, “Well, I can’t believe what so and so said and did and…” but you know who’s actually interested? The other soap opera derby people you hang out with, not successful or even happy people.
In fact, the truth is, nobody wants to be around a complainer. I get it all the time — people who love what we do at Harv Eker International, want to work with us, etc., but the way they approach me is to complain about something.
Maybe they’re an audio professional, so they say the music was too loud at one of my programs. This could be constructive, but they never frame the approach in a positive way. For example, they could say something, “Here’s something that we can look at,” or “Here’s something you might be able to try.” However, they don’t. Instead, they complain — and all I need to hear is one complaint out of somebody to say, “Back off, man! Get your own victim!”
Words Have Power — They Are Declarations to the Universe
You might not realize it, but your everyday language has a major impact on your life. While it’s easy to react negatively to life events, pretty soon complaining becomes a habit.
What you complain about becomes your focus and your intention, and it expands for you just like it’s suppose to.
Go ahead and complain…or maybe not. You’ve got to catch yourself because no one’s going to do it for you.
So are you open to believing that you can create your life and your financial success (this is how rich and successful people think!), instead of buying into the “life happens to me” victim mentality? I hope so.
What are some ways you’ve maintained a positive focus in spite of the whiners in your life? How do you care for, love, and honor them while protecting yourself as well? We want to hear from you! Leave a comment below.
For Your Freedom,